BALLIN FOR A CAUSE ANNOUNCES IT’S 10TH ANNUAL EVENT AT RIVERWORKS
Buffalo, N.Y., Mar. 30, 2017 – Ballin for a Cause (BFAC), a youth-serving nonprofit organization in Western New York, today announced its 10th annual basketball tournament, May 19-21, at Buffalo Riverworks. During a live press conference, Mayor Byron Brown presented the organization with a proclamation declaring the annual event the official “Ballin for a Cause Weekend.”
BFAC also announced that it will partner with Medaille College on its “Big 4″ Initiative, making Medaille an exclusive collegiate partner for 2017, presenting three qualifying high school students with $7,500 in scholarship funds toward the 2017/2018 academic school year.
The scholarships will be awarded at the BFAC ‘Big 4’ Awards Ceremony taking place during the event weekend on Saturday, May 20th. The ceremony will also honor professionals making in the impact in Buffalo and Western New York communities.
As the diamond presenting sponsor, Medaille College will also provide space for the Gentleman’s Institute Program, a new seven-week course for young men, grades 9-12, who are interested in learning life skills such as career development, financial literacy, preparing for an interview and how to tie a tie. The Gentlemen will also have the opportunity to learn goal setting and leadership skills from local community leaders and entrepreneurs. Classes will be held in Huber Hall in April.
“Medaille is proud to partner with BFAC and to be part of all the fine work they do in the community,” said John Crawford, vice president for College Relations, Medaille College. “It will be a great tournament and we know that the Gentleman’s Institute will enhance the lives of all the participants and help prepare them for fulfilling, productive roles in our community.”
Over the last 10 years, the ‘Ballin for a Cause’ has utilized sports as a tool to raise awareness and engage youth in year-round programs that support the ‘Big 4’ major causes: Education, Sports, Community and Health and Wellness.
New 2017 programming includes:
- Education: In addition to the Gentleman’s Institute Program, BFAC will host its fifth annual “It’s More Than a Game” speaker series to talk to students about the importance of higher education, having good character and how to be a leader in the community from young professional athletes that they know and admire. The series will be hosted at local high schools in Western New York this spring.
- Community: To help promote diversity awareness, BFAC will partner with The Belle Center, a local community services organization, to offer the Global Ambassadors Program, an international PenPal and Student Exchange program for high school students. More details will be announced in April.
- Youth Sports: BFAC is introducing a youth baseball league, Crown baseball, for boys and girls, ages 5 through 12, in partnership with Mount Olive Baptist Church in Buffalo. Crown Baseball camps and practices will begin in May and will be the only community baseball league serving youth on the east side of Buffalo.
- Health and Wellness: In partnership with fitness trainer Gene Coplin of G Cope Fitness, BFAC will host the first annual BFAC 3K Run and Family Walk around the Old First Ward on Saturday, May 20 at 9:00 a.m. Immediately following the run, a post-race party takes place inside Riverworks with an awards ceremony, door prizes, raffles, auctions, music, food and beverages. Registration is now open and starts at $10 for youth and $15 for adults.
“We are proud of our history with giving back and working with our local community and truly excited about new programs that will launch in 2017,” said Lindsey Taylor, founder and CEO, Ballin for a Cause. “Medaille College will be a great partner to have and adds much value to our programs and impact on young people’s lives.”
Official sponsors and community partners of the Ballin for a Cause 10th Annual National Basketball Tournament & World Games include:
- Official Youth Division and Colleguate sponsor: Medaille College
- Gold Sponsors: Councilman Richard Fontana, Community of Giving Legacies Initiative and the Community Foundation of Greater Buffalo
- Silver Sponsor: Councilman Joel P Feroleto
- Bronze Sponsor: Councilman David Rivera, Councilman Ulyesses Wingo, Councilman Charles Scanlon
- Official Radio Broadcast Partner: 91.3 FM WBNY
- Media Outlet Providers: Onpoint Basketball, Radyo Filipino Network
- Official Game Ball Sponsor: Molten Basketball
- Official World Games Uniform provider: RG Sportswear
- Community Partners: Crown Entertainment, GOALS Premier Cup, Beau Fleuve Music & Arts Festival, Junior NBA, Visit Buffalo Niagara, The Belle Center, Emerging Philanthropists of Color, Buffalo United Front Fathers, Buffalo Peacemakers, Urban Equity Management, and Guaggi.
For more details on sponsorship and how to get involved, please visit: http://ballinforacause.com/partners/. For news and information, visit us online at www.ballinforacause.com.
Ballin for a Cause is a 5-on-5 internationally recognized basketball tournament that utilizes sports as a tool to engage youth in Western New York in year-round programs that support the BFAC Big 4 Initiatives: Education, Youth Sports, Health and Wellness and Community Giving. Over the last 10 years, the organization has hosted North American tours and provided in kind donations for other youth and community service organizations across the North East including in Toronto, New York City, Dallas, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Erie (PA), Cleveland and Akron (OH).
Tune into our weekly radio show on 91.3 FM, Mondays from 5-6 p.m. or join the conversation on Twitter @ballinforacause. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @ballinforacause.